As I sat down at the computer tonight I happened to glance at the clock. Seven o'clock it read, and I realized that I was in pain...major pain, exactly two years ago today...at seven o'clock. The story goes a little something like this...
I was sitting on the couch reading a People magazine when I felt the most uncomfortable pain wrap itself around my mid section. It started at my lower back and reached around my tummy with long, painful fingers. After a few seconds it passed and all was well. I looked up and noticed the time. Seven o'clock. I went back to reading gossip in my favorite magazine when out of no where the pain starting creeping back. Again, starting with my lower back and reaching around my belly. I again looked at the clock and noticed the time. Seven-oh-four. I looked over to Scott and said, "It's time". To which he replied, "Really?" "Yep, you may want to call my mom and tell the Dickson's and Haynes' we won't be going to dinner!"
I got up and got myself together and it was Seven forty five before we left the house. We were on our way to the hospital to welcome our second daughter into this world and we were excited. As we got onto the highway it quickly occurred to me that it was a Friday night and we were going to be out with everyone else in DFW. Traffic and a pregnant woman in hard labor is not a good combo...but nonetheless there we were. Stuck. In. Traffic!!! As I was white knuckled and gripping the door handle Scott was fixing to take our new Yukon on it's first off road experience. After a few quick maneuvers we made it safely to Methodist Hospital and were waiting to be admitted.
That process took forever! I was in hard labor, my water had broke and the nurse admitting in L&D thought I could wait behind a few other mom's who were having Braxton Hicks contractions...but not for long. Again, my wonderful husband, looked at him and said "Do you think you could admit her?" To which the nurse smugly replied "Sir, she will have to wait unless her water has broken." We both looked at him with our "devil eyes" and said in unison "It broke 45 minutes ago!!!!" Well, he was Johnny on the spot then, telling the others to stay seated he would be with them in a moment.
I was soon hooked up to monitors and awaiting that blessed epidural. Once that was in place all was right with the world. I started pushing....and pushing.....and pushing.....and pushing...yes, here I am...still pushing....and pushing....for two solid hours. The baby was going no where. Nope, not coming out...she was happy and content right where she was. So after a short deliberation it was determined that the only way she was coming out was by force...a c-section kind of force.
So at 3:03 am she arrived. Our 7 lb. 1 oz. little bundle of joy we called Addyson Elizabeth!
Summertime Sweets
5 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment