So, what is this project you ask? Well, it is something that I have wanted for a really, really long time. A wall cubbie system for our playroom. I have always wanted the Cameron wall system from Pottery Barn, but the hubs isn't and never will go for the $2,100 price. Just when I thought all hope was lost, I came across this GREAT blog, http://www.knockoffwood.blogspot.com/. Ana has made my dream come true...with a little elbow grease of course! Here on her wonderful blog I have found the plans to the Cameron wall system I have always wanted...in color...with an easy list of items you need and step by step instructions on how to assemble!! And the best part? I can do it for around $300!!! What? Really? I could just kiss her!
I couldn't wait to start on this, but made a deal with myself, as I am an all or nothing kinda girl, that I would only do one piece at a time, one weekend at a time. No exceptions. Like my momma said...I am a mom, in school and have a lot of other responsibilities. But today was a good day to start and so I did just that! I was off to Home Depot!
Let me just say that I have only been into Hope Depot for paint. I go straight to that department and then to the checkout counter...everything else in that store scared me! But today, I walked into the Lumber department and conquered my fear...it's just dead trees after all.
I had my list of what I needed in hand, along with all the different cuts I needed (they cut it for free...another bonus!) Bryan, who is the sweetest thing EVER, was up for the task. He diligently cut all of my pieces and stacked them up for me. And, while he was cutting the lumber manager came up and asked me what I was doing...I think he was impressed that a girl was taking on this project...so much so that as I was checking out he told everyone what I was attempting and asked for me to bring in pictures once I was done! WOW!!
Once I got home I had enough wood and cuts to make my two bottom "cubbies" to go on either side of the media stand. But, to stay within my rules, I am only making one. So here it is...the finished product, minus the paint (I will be painting the whole thing black).
You will notice on her plans she has a drawer. I decided to not do the drawer right now...I think I want to put baskets or have books here.
One piece down, six to go...be sure to check back, as I will post my progress up to the "big reveal"!



No comments:
Post a Comment