Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our Visitor

Yes...that is what you think it is...a skunk! Thankfully it was dead...there was no stench! Last week the girls wanted to play outside and as Scott was letting them out he saw something in the back corner of our yard. Upon investigating he decided to keep the girls in and call Animal Control. It was a Sunday, so he was told, via voicemail, to call 911. Really? A dead animal is an emergency? Well, he did what he was told and called 911. Here is what he was told...

911: "911 what's your emergency?"
Scott: "I have a dead skunk in my backyard and Animal Control said to call you."
911: "Sir, Animal Control doesn't work on Sundays, please bag it up and someone will come pick it up on Monday."
Scott: "Thank you"

So, when I get home from running errons he tells me about this...

Scott: "There is a dead skunk in our backyard and they say to just bag it up ourselves and they will come and get it on Monday?
Me: "What? That is their job!"
Scott: "Fine, then you call them back!"
Me: "I will!"

So, I proceed to call 911 again for a NON emergency....

911: "911 what's your emergency?"
Me: "This is not an emergency, but my husband just called about a dead skunk in our backyard and was told to bag it up himself? We need Animal Control to come out please."
911: "Ma'am, Animal Control will not come out unless it is a rabid dog."
Me: "So they won't come out for a rabid skunk? I have little kids who want to play in the backyard and can't due to a dead animal."
911: "You need to bag it and they will pick it up on Monday."
Me: "No, that's their job, you need to send someone out!"
911: "What is your name, phone number and address? Someone from Animal Control will call you back."
Me: "Great!"

About 5 minutes later....

Me: "Hello"
AC: "Emily, do you know who this is?"
Me: "No"
AC: "This is Mr. Horn...today is your lucky day!" (This just happens to be the husband of the lady who cleans our house!)
Me: "Oh thank you!!! Will you PLEASE come pick this dead animal up?"
AC: "Yes, of course. We typically don't come out on Sunday's but since I know you I will be out there in a couple of minutes!
Me: "Thank you so, very much!!!"

So...moral of the story...if you have a dead animal in your backyard and it is the weekend...hope like hell you know someone!

No comments: