Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Tough News

As many of you know we got a call a few days after my last doctor's appointment that our blood test had come back abnormal. There was an increased risk for a condition called Trisomy 18. After much research, this is a very serious and heartbreaking condition. I was referred to a high risk doctor at Medical City and had an appointment to have a fetal II sonogram and amnio done. We had to meet with a genetic counselor who explained our test results and gave us our options should something in fact be wrong. The only way to be sure was through the sono and amnio. Basically my test showed that I had a 10% chance the baby would have this condition. After the sonogram, which everything looked normal, Dr. Weiss sent me out of there with a 99.+ % chance that everything was normal. Apparently these test have a high "false-positive" rate. What a relief...although I have a feeling the next several months are going to be hard. I have to have a sonogram done every month until 34 weeks where I will then have one every week to make sure the baby is growing. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: