I know that you are probably expecting some update and cute pictures, but this is not my typical blog story...bare with me.
Every morning I try and take a little time and read what's new in "blogland", this is what I call all of my blogs that I read on a daily basis...it's my drug people...I'm addicted.
Today I was reading one of my fav's, http://www.alongwayfromthethetahouse.com/ and it made me think. See, Hoodmamma, as she likes to refer to herself, lives in a not so nice part of Dallas. She and her husband run a non-profit called Mercy Street. It is a fabulous organization and you should definitely check it out! Anywho, they strongly believe that it is in God's plan to help young, misguided, under privileged kiddos and in doing so, believe that they should live smack in the center of it all...with their four children. Some have called them crazy, but they know in their hearts what they are doing is right.
Every morning "hoodmama" walks with some girlfriends and this morning she was struck by something. As they were walking they came across someones whole "life" sitting on the curb. Whomever these belongings were had apparently been evicted, and as is custom, all of their belongings had been thrown out on the curb...even refrigerator contents. This does just not happen here in our nice, content suburbia so to see the pictures of this was a shock in itself. But there is more...
In the hood, when someones whole life takes up residence on the sidewalk, people think that it becomes "free property" so everyone that happens to pass by will pillage through and take what they want, then the things that are left over are scattered down the block and of course tagged by the locals as apparently is common too.
After reading her blog post this morning it got me to thinking...If I had to gather up all I could carry and leave the rest, what would I take? Would my Carlos Santana stilettos be as important as they are now? What about my favorite pair of jeans? Pictures? Clothes? When I think about it this way I can only come to one conclusion.
At the end of the day, when push comes to shove, it would be very little. They all have heartbeats.
Summertime Sweets
5 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment